Police Record Check Application Form – as of November 1, 2018

On November 1, 2018 the way in which Police Record Checks are completed across Ontario will be changing, to ensure compliance with the Ontario Police Record Checks Reform Act.This legislation was passed on December 1, 2015 and will be enacted on Wednesday November 1, 2018. This legislation will ensure that there is a clear, consistent and comprehensive set of standards to govern how police record checks are conducted and disclosed in the province of Ontario.
The Act has standardized the three types of record checks that can be conducted, the information that is authorized to be released on each type of check and what they are called. The three types are: Criminal Record Checks (CRC), Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (CRJMC), and Police Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC); all checks are completed through:

NEW FORMS – these new forms are now available at LaSalle Police Service Monday through Friday between the hours 8-4pm and online

You must bring 2 pieces of Government Identification with you- a Valid Drivers’ Licence (proof of LaSalle residency) or Ontario Photo Card along with one of the following:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Passport/Nexus
  • Native Status Card
  • Possession and Acquisition Licence
  • Pleasure Craft Operator Card
  • Immigration Documents/ Permanent Residence Card

Record Check Fees

Employment/ Licencing/ Adoption $55.00

Volunteer Position or College or University Programs $25.00

*A letter from the requesting agency is required for Vulnerable Sector Check for a volunteer position*

Type of CheckDefinitionExamples
Record Check
A Criminal Records Check (CRC) is a search of the
RCMP databases and is usually required for
employment purposes, bylaw licences or immigration
purposes. It is not intended for individuals seeking
employment or a volunteer position working with
children or vulnerable persons.
Financial institutions, municipal and by- law
licences, travel and immigration and retail
Record and
Matters Check
The Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check
is intended for applicants who are seeking
employment or volunteer positions with agencies who
require a criminal record check. The agency has
determined that a search of sex offenders with a
record suspension is NOT required (e.g. border
crossing or visa) therefore this check is NOT intended
for applicants who are seeking volunteer and/or
employment with vulnerable persons
Board of Directors, IT personnel and
construction staff at daycares, schools,
hospitals and long term care facilities.

Note: Only residents of LaSalle who are
not directly in a position of
trust/authority with the vulnerable
population can apply for a Criminal
Record and Judicial Matters Check

Sector Check
The Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC) was
established to provide screening of individuals who
intend on working or volunteering with the
vulnerable. A vulnerable person is defined as a person
who, because of their age, a disability, or other
circumstances, whether temporary or permanent are
(a) in a position of dependence on others or (b) are
otherwise at a greater risk than the general population
of being harmed by a person in a position or authority
or trust relative to them. This type of screening is
required for the following types of positions: teacher,
social worker, daycare worker, sport coaches, etc.
Doctors, nurses, hospital employees,
dentists, teachers, non-teaching staff in
schools (such as janitors and administrative
support), early childcare educators, daycare
employees, employees in long term care
facilities that provide health services to
vulnerable adults.

Note: Available only to LaSalle residents,
VSC is restricted to persons/employees
who are in a position of trust/ authority
with the vulnerable population.

Youth Records​​ 

  • Police agencies across Ontario will no longer be permitted to disclose any youth records on record checks for non-government agencies.
  • This means that applicants under the age of 18 will no longer be provided with a police record check, unless they can show that that it is required for a government agency.
  • Only federal, provincial and municipal government agencies will receive youth records for the purposes of employment or the performance of services, with or without remuneration (per the Youth Criminal Justice Act (YCJA 119(1)(o)),
  • Youth under 18 are permitted to request a copy of their own record through a Freedom of Information Access request – however this will not be provided to them in a record check format, and the YCJA prohibits the youth from disclosing this information to anyone else.

For the purposes of youth records only, a government agency strictly refers to agencies in which the federal, provincial or municipal government is the direct employer.  It does not include agencies that receive government funding.  See below examples. See Below.

Government Agency (authorized to receive youth records)Non – Government Agency (will not receive youth records)
· Federal departments, i.e.: Dept. of defense, CBSA,
  Corrections Canada – refer to
· Provincial Ministries: Education, MTO, Health, Ministry
  of the Attorney General, Public long term care facilities,
  public daycares – refer to www.ontario.ca/page/ministries
· Municipal departments: City hall, city parks, public library

· Schools
· Universities
· Hospitals
· Private Retirement homes
· Private daycares
· Family & Children Services