More and more consumers are skipping the line ups at retail stores and purchasing products online for home delivery. For some, on-line shopping is very convenient and less hassle and less time consuming than venturing out to make a purchase for anything from clothing to groceries. However, increasingly, items delivered to homeowners are vanishing when the packages are left on the front porch by delivery couriers.
A popular monicker that has been associated with package thieves are “Porch Pirates”. These persons are thieves who may follow a courier truck around or look through neighbourhoods for unattended packages left on porches. They will steal packages that are left on your doorstep when you’re not home to accept the package.
Tips to Protect Yourself from package thieves:
● Most reputable couriers offer an on-line tracking service that enables you to know when your package is arriving. Use this feature and arrange to have someone present to accept the package if you are not able to be.
● Some companies give the option to not leave the package on the porch if you are not home. If there is no one to accept the package they will leave a notice for you at the front door and bring the package to a depot for you to securely pick up.
● Arrange to have packages delivered when you are home or ask a neighbour or friend to accept the package on your behalf.
● Alternatively, you can also have packages delivered to your workplace or another secure, alternate location.
● Install a security camera at the front door in a conspicuous location to act as a deterrent to would be thieves and a tool to identify the undeterred. Video cameras that are high definition with night vision are the best for all situations.
● If you see something or someone suspicious, report it to the police immediately.