If you see or hear anything suspicious – say something IMMEDIATELY. Call the LaSalle Police Service at any time for assistance 519-969-5210 or 911 if it’s an emergency.
The LaSalle Police Service received reports of five vehicles that were entered and or damaged overnight between July 26th and July 27th in the area of Jewel and Tyler in LaSalle. In one of the instances the culprit(s) broke a window on a vehicle to gain entry. This is unusual as thieves generally move on to another easier target that will not bring attention to their presence. Another vehicle had no means of securing its contents and items of value, such as a sum of cash, was taken. In three of the occurrences cash and wallets had been taken. Just in this area alone over $120.00 in cash was reported stolen from vehicles.
We cannot stress enough DO NOT leave items of value within your vehicles, especially wallets and purses that contain cash and identification and LOCK your vehicles.
Our officers regularly and continuously patrol all areas of the town but we ask that you help us help you by following these simple steps. It may not prevent all thefts but it can certainly help to mitigate the chances of becoming a victim.
Help us reduce crime and criminal opportunity in our community. The LaSalle Police Service is urging all residents to lock their cars. Thieves will operate in any area of our community where there is opportunity. Thieves will perform ‘car-hopping’, a process of stealing valuables from multiple vehicles in the same area, quickly moving from one vehicle to another. Thieves look for accessible marks, such as cars with unlocked doors or convertibles with the top down. Once valuables are stolen they are quickly pawned off or sold.
It’s all about prevention. Locking your car doors may be the difference on whether your items are stolen or not. It’s one of the simplest and most important actions you can take to prevent theft
Crime Prevention Techniques – Preventing theft from Vehicles
– Remove the ignition keys and lock your doors
– Avoid parking in dimly lit or isolated areas
– ALWAYS remove all valuables from plain view inside your vehicle such as wallets, purses, briefcases, backpacks, gym bags, cell phones, laptops, etc. while you are parked overnight, at home, school or at work.
– Remove any documents in your vehicle which identify where you live – your home might be the thieves’ next target
– Don’t hide any spare keys inside or under your vehicle – thieves know just where to look
– Take a picture of your car with the plate number and VIN number
– ALWAYS report suspicious individuals immediately who appear to be looking into vehicles or trying door handles in neighborhoods or business areas to see if they are unlocked.
Call LaSalle Police at 519 969-5210 to report any suspicious activity. Calling immediately significantly increases our ability to locate the potential offender.