Way too often property is turned into our police service, but cannot be returned as a result of poor documentation on the part of the owner. Unless you can provide proof of ownership, your valuables may end up auctioned or worse, in a landfill.
To assist us with reuniting you with your property & heirlooms:
- Document serial numbers and keep a copy somewhere other than an electronic device that can be lost or stolen
- Apply unique identifying markings to objects. For instance, label your belongings using a Ultra Violet (Spy) Pen with Invisible Ink, which will be visible once exposed to a UV light source
- Photograph valuables
- Photograph the Serial Numbers and email them to yourself
- Maintain purchase receipts (scan & email them to yourself if possible)
- Report your stolen property immediately & obtain a report number from your local police service
- You can also access the national police database http://www.cpic-cipc.ca/index-eng.htm, and search for property or motor vehicles that have been reported stolen.