DO YOU KNOW YOUR NEIGHBOURS?
WHAT IS A MARIJUANA HOME GROW OPERATION?
Marijuana Grow Houses are normal houses in residential areas that are converted for the purposes of growing marijuana. Marijuana Grow Operations may be found in any home, in any neighbourhood.
To make a house suitable for cultivating marijuana, significant changes are made to the home’s structure. High intensity lighting is needed to grow the plants (which is costly), so many home grow operations by-pass the electricity illegally putting the neighbourhood at risk of fire and electrocution. Combined with construction to provide water and ventilation for the grow operation, the house becomes uninhabitable for future residents. Unless major repairs are made, the house is ruined and the property value of other homes in the area is lowered.
Marijuana Grow Houses often have links to criminal elements and organized crime. Individuals associated with grow operations have been found to carry weapons and may be considered dangerous. Also, there is a risk of increased violence and residual crime in neighbourhoods associated with illegal activity. Marijuana Grow Houses are not only a police concern they are a Public Safety Issue!!!!
WHAT ARE THE DANGERS OF A MARIJUANA GROW OP?
There are many dangers associated with Marijuana Grow Houses, and problems that can result from having one in your neighbourhood. These include:
- POISONOUS FUMES
- INCREASED CRIME
- BOOBY TRAPS
- POWER OUTAGES
- STRUCTURAL DAMAGE
- ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE
- HAZARD TO CHILDREN
WHAT ARE THE SIGNS OF A MARIJUANA GROW OP?
- Residents rarely appear to be at home, and attend the house for brief periods of time (such as a few hours) before leaving. Despite this, radios or televisions may be left on all night, making it sound as if someone is there.
- Visitors behave strangely or visit at odd hours and entry is often made through the garage or side/back entrance.
- New vents suddenly added to roof or side of the house.
- Windows are boarded or covered up, preventing light from entering the house and concealing activities inside. Bright lights may be seen escaping from windows, and the windows may have a layer of condensation on them. Even though the windows are always closed, air conditioners never run.
- Equipment used in the growing operation (such as large fans, lights, plastic plant containers and other items) are carried into the home.
- Sounds of construction or electrical humming from equipment may be heard -Hydro meters are tampered with, and there are signs of digging or disturbance around the outside hydro box. There may be localized surges and decreases in power.
- Marijuana growing in the house will produce a strong, skunk-like odour that you may be able to smell from outside the house.
- Exterior appearance of the property is untidy. There is little outside maintenance done (unshovelled snow, uncut grass, etc.). Flyers and junk mail pile up in the mailbox or on the porch.
- Warning signs are posted in windows or around the outside of the house. These may warn people to “Beware of Dog” or that “Guard Dogs” are on the property.